When a PC is starting up, the BIOS tries to find an operating system on a hard drive to boot from. However, if it cannot find one, the error "Operating system not found" is displayed. It can be caused by a BIOS setup error, a faulty hard drive, or a corrupted master boot record.
How do I fix operating system not found?
Why is my operating system not found? how to fix it
- Check the BIOS.
- Reboot the BIOS.
- Repair boot records. Microsoft Windows mainly relies on three registries to start your machine. …
- Enable or disable UEFI Secure Boot. …
- Activate the Windows partition. …
- Use the easy recovery basics.
How do I fix Windows 10 operating system not found?
Method 1. Set MBR/DBR/BCD
- Boot the PC which has OS not found error then insert the DVD/USB.
- Then press any key to boot from the external drive.
- When Windows setup appears, set up the keyboard, language, and other required settings, and tap Next.
- Then select Repair your PC.
How do I restore my operating system?
To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:
- Click Start. …
- In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
- In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you started experiencing the problem, and then click Next.
What if there is no operating system?
It can, but your computer would stop working because Windows is the operating system, the software that makes it work and provides a platform for programs to run, like your web browser. Without an operating system your laptop is just a box of bits that don't know how to communicate with each other, or you.
Why are the operating systems missing?
This problem can occur if one or more of the following conditions are true: The basic input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard drive. The hard drive is damaged. Sector 0 of the physical hard drive has an incorrect or malformed master boot record (MBR).
What are the five examples of operating system?
Five of the most common operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple macOS, Linux, Android, and Apple iOS.
How do I find my operating system in BIOS?
Finding the BIOS version on Windows computers using the BIOS menu
- Restart the computer.
- Open the BIOS menu. As the computer restarts, press F2, F10, F12, or Del to enter the computer's BIOS menu. …
- Find the BIOS version. In the BIOS menu, look for BIOS Revision, BIOS Version, or Firmware Version.
How do I fix OS not found in VMware?
How do I fix VMware operating system not found error?
- The boot sequence fails with the error: Operating system not found.
- Specify to VMware that you are using a physical drive.
- Re-create the virtual machine. Open your VMware app. Click Start on the left menu. …
- Reinstall the operating system on VMware Workstation.
How can I repair Windows 7 without CD?
Restore without installation CD/DVD
- Turn on the computer.
- Hold down the F8 key.
- On the Advanced Boot Options screen, choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Press Enter.
- Login as Administrator.
- When the command prompt appears, type this command: rstrui.exe.
- Press Enter.
How do I restore Windows 7 without a disk?
Method 1 – Reboot your computer from your recovery partition
- 2) Right-click on Computer, then select Manage.
- 3) Click Storage, then Disk Management.
- 3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type recovery. …
- 4) Click Advanced Recovery Methods.
- 5) Select Reinstall Windows.
- 6) Click Yes.
- 7) Click Back Up Now.